Monday, June 30, 2008

Weeds, weeds, everywhere!

After spending a week at the beach, I came home to find everything in pots either dead or half dead. Sheesh, the cat is lower maintenance than the plants! But the weeds have really gotten out of hand. I have been turning a blind eye to it for weeks, but now it is such a sad sight that I can't ignore them anymore. Bermuda grass from the lawn has invaded the flower beds, and they cut into my hands and break up into a million baby plant segments when I try to rip them out. There is also oxalis and other dicot type weeds about.

But the worst is the crabgrass. It can go from plantlet to full-blown monster menace choking out everything in sight faster than I can grab the spade. And the stupid roots are near impossible to pull out. Most of my 'blue and white' garden is crabgrass now. And because of the roots, I have to wait until a heavy ground-soaking rain before I can work on it. Which means that I need to weed the day after, when the air is heavy with the sweat-inducing humidity that only the Southeast can appreciate.

In lighter news, my mother and I are considering a business venue- growing landscape plants to sell in semi-annual driveway sales. A man made thousands a sale doing just that with considerably less land than we have. The main glitch is that so many of our stock plants are still under patents. Hmmmm.....

No comments: